Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Adding to my Must Reads for Teachers List

    I met my goal of reading 111 books in 2011.  It's funny, because as much as I was focused on the goal, once it passed I didn't feel as excited as I thought I would.

Go figure!

Now I am silently celebrating, and contemplating what my reading goal will be next year.

Must Reads for Educators

Most educators read research based books pretty regularly.  Keeping up with current research is so important to our own professional growth.  I always read books and gather a few great ideas, but occasionally I stumble on a book that I feel most of us should read.

I'm adding two books to this list .....
Readicide
I am in an online reading of  Kelly Gallagher's Readicide.  (Link provided in case you want to check it out) Everyone should read this book.  It's such a great discussion on what is happening to our students today. It's important, not only for teachers, but for parents to understand how vital it is for children to learn to love reading and to recognize the value to our society.  I've read this book many times, each time I pull something new from it.

I like this book because it takes a realistic view of testing and test prep and explains what this does to our students, yet it doesn't lay blame on the feet of our teachers.  It is important to focus on what is happening in our schools and fix it.  This book does that.

Understanding Poverty
Another book everyone should read is Ruby Payne's  A Framework for Understanding Poverty.  While this is a book meant for educators, this book really helps us understand where people come from and how our expectations are not always valid to others.


For the Fun of It

I just finished reading The Scorpio Races.  You can read about it on Goodreads. (Link below) 


The Scorpio RacesThe Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating: 4 of 5 stars






View all my reviews

I'm working on my end of the year book summary.   Look for it after Christmas, in the meantime - Happy Reading!



Doris



4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Your book recommendations look good!

I haven't read anything by Maggie Stiefvater, but her books are certainly buzzing around the blogosphere.

Enjoy!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by. When you have the time, try her books. Her work is very worthy of the buzz she is getting!

Thanks and enjoy your week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've read and loved Ruby Payne. Now I'm off to add Readicide to my wishlist. Thank you!

Here's my Sunday Salon!

Alyce said...

Reading the summary of Readicide on amazon makes me realize how lucky my kids are to have had such good teachers (and great elementary school & public librarians). In their school the kids each have a box of books selected at their reading level, and they are fun modern books (like Captain Underpants, Secrets of Droon, Harry Potter, etc) and they have classics available if the kids are interested. They have both structured time and free reading. I feel incredibly fortunate that my boys currently love reading, and am a bit anxious to see if that holds once they hit the teen years.