Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Write 15 minutes a Day Challenge

The incredibly cool and totally awesome author Laurie Halse Anderson has recently started  a writing challenge.

This challenge is totally doable, and for anyone who wants to improve their writing, just focus on keeping a journal, or even write that novel that has been filling your head for years, this challenge is for you.

It's simple, for 15 minutes a day, during the month of August, you write.  I know for me, once I get into the groove of writing, I'm good at keeping it up.  It is truly the struggle of making myself sit down and do it.

Setting aside a time that I have to write has truly helped me focus on my writing craft and allowed me to see huge gains in projects that have been on the burner for years.  Here are three other suggestions that I've found help me focus on writing.
  • Along with the time, set up a place to write.  Something that is comfortable and free of distractions.  I found a great corner in my favorite coffee spot that is away from most of the noise and allows me to not see the door.  (I am a people watcher)
  • Have your personal needs cared for in advance.  Don't start writing when you are hungry, make sure there is a drink at hand so you don't have to get up and find something.
  • Avoid distractions.  My #1 distraction is Twitter.  I can't help but start Tweeting with friends, reading cool Tweets from cool people, and generally just keeping up with the world.  Next thing I know I've spent an hour just Twittering!
Start writing and don't stop, but - this is important - if one writing session isn't productive, don't quit.  Keep trying and eventually you'll get it.

If you want to read more about Laurie Halse Anderson's writing challenge you can find it here.

I started back to work this month and have LOVED it.  Looking forward to this school year and new challenges in my new position.  Have a great week everyone.

Doris


2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I'm a big fan of working at building good habits. I've been participating in various writing challenges for more than a year now, and I'm seeing the fruits of those labors now. Two WIPs are almost tweaked, polished, etc., and just about ready to go soon! (Notice the qualifiers!) LOL.

By "go," I mean calling the publisher and setting up a plan.

I'm still working on building better fitness habits and I'm improving there, too.

Hang in there!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Robyn Ryle said...

Ooh, I do love a writing challenge. I also love to write in our local coffee shop, though sitting right in the window that looks out on the street. I think people watching helps, though who knows. Great advice.