This month gave me so much time to focus on writing and reading. I've loved using the time to focus on some of my long-term writing projects, and to knock out some serious reading.
This past month afforded me tons of time to read. I was worried I'd fall so far behind my reading goal of 100 books this year, but July gave me time to get a little ahead. I also started the #bookaday reading; focusing on one children's book a day. This has allowed me to broaden my reading horizons and given me some great ideas for lessons in the future.
This week I'll be speaking at UHCL to writing teachers. I'm looking forward to spending time with them. The National Writing Project and the Greater Houston Area Writing Project has been one of the most inspirational things I did as a writing teacher. I adore working with them.
Following are the books I read for this month.
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (This was a reread, but it is one of those books I find very inspirational.)
- Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland by: Sally Walker
- Ladybug Girl at the Beach by Jacky Davis (great book for pre-readers)
- French Colonial Louisiana And The Atlantic World by Bradly Bond (book for a research project I'm working on. Very interesting if you are a history buff)
- Real Revision: Authors' Strategies to Share With Student Writers by Kate Messner (awesome book for writing teachers)
- Parcours De L'Ombre: Les Trois Indecideab by Sernin (More research, but reading in French is not easy!)
- Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy by Jacky Davis
- The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z by Kate Messner
- Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning by Mike Schmoker (great book with new ideas on improving student achievement)
- Hydra's Secret by John Stancik
- A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George RR Martin
- What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen (great book with one of my newest favorite characters)
- Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zabin
- City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare
- All the World by Elizabeth G Scanlon
- Bad Taste in Boys by Casandra Harris (READ THIS! You will love it)
- The Stinky Cheese Man 10th Anniversary by Jon Scieczka
- The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning #1) by John Stephens
- Wolfsbane by Andrea Creamer
- The Masterwork of a Painting Elephant by Michelle Cuevas
- On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle
- Journal of a Schoolyard Bully: Notes on Noogies, Wet Willies, and Wedgies by Farley Katz
Since I was traveling on Friday, I did not post my Friday Finds. I'll go back to my normal schedule this week, so you can look forward to Wordless Wednesday and my Friday Finds this week.
Have a great week!