Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Salon, Read-A-thon and Funnies

Julia Roberts from Eat, Pray, Love
Happy Sunday!

Yesterday was a day engrossed in a reading challenge.  For 24 hours, I committed to read.  While I didn't read the entire 24 hours, I did make sure I stuck to the task for most of it.  This is the way the day went.

6 a.m. Up and reading Leaving Gee's Bend. (Great book for Intermediate School Girls)   I only had a little I wanted to reread, but this is one of my all-time favorite books.

9 a.m. The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Didn't Have To.  (Great book for high school aged boys)  I loved this book. I like the depth of friendship between the two main characters, but I was a bit disappointed in the shallowness of the secondary characters.  Of course, from a teenage boy point-of-view maybe all secondary characters are shallow.  Interesting storyline about people and differences.

11 a.m. Reading Break, Grocery store (Kids gotta eat)

1 p.m.  Listening to book on Kindle (I adore the read to me option on Kindle, just wish it sounded more live and less computerish)

2:30 p.m.  Reading on Kindle while getting Pedicure.  (gotta have pretty pigs)

4 p.m. Walking along Egret Bay with John.  (A girl needs to keep in shape doesn't she)  Just one mile, but it was a good quality mile!!

5 p.m.  Girl In Translation - Wow great book.  I adore when an author creates such deep characters.  The main character, a young girl who immigrates from Hong Kong to live in the slums of Brooklyn, spends her days in honor classes and her nights in a sweatshop.  The story line is exceptional, but the characterization is what keeps you reading.  Great book for intermediate school students.

9:45 p.m. Room - I didn't finish this in the 24 hours of reading time frame because I was just exhausted, but this is a must read.  Imagine being kept prisoner in a room, raising your child there with you and trying to make his life as normal as possible.  (Amazing)  I woke up early on Sunday to finish it.  This is a must read.

After a Sunday morning filled with baking and my son's soccer game at noon, I'm hoping for some quality boat time tonight.

Sunday Funnies:  (For my math teacher friends)





Enjoy your Sunday!

D

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds like a great day! Love taking Kindle out and reading at all kinds of places.

I've been wanting to read ROOM, and just haven't yet....

Great cartoon!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Congrats on all you got done during the readathon!

I don't know that I could tolerate the computerish 'voice' of the kindle, but if it allowed you to multi-task, that's great!