Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In It To End It


In It to End It


Next SpringI will be walking over 39 miles over the course of two days as a participant in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Houston. I am honored to be walking with thousands of others who have made the same courageous commitment: to help raise awareness and funding for this devastating disease. We will sleep in tents, shower in trucks, and push ourselves far beyond what we ever thought we were capable of doing.

This isn’t the first time you’ve heard this from me and it probably won’t be the last. Why do I continue to push myself to participate in these events? Why do I keep talking about breast cancer? Why do I continue to fundraise and train? Because when I first started participating in these events I only knew one person that had been touched by breast cancer. Now I know more than I can count. Too many people have had their lives torn apart by this disease. I refuse to sit by and watch it happen. So I continue to do all this because I can.

 I’ve committed to raising at least $1,800 for each event. The Avon Foundation, awarding funds the money raised from these events to help advance medical research into the possible causes, prevention, treatment and cure of breast cancer; medical care for breast cancer patients; support services for patients and their families; educational seminars; and early detection programs. Your donation will benefit the whole picture - cause, cure, care and support.

I can’t do this alone.  To donate to this cause and support my efforts, please go to my Avon walk page here.  This will take you to my personal page to make your donation online. Or you can mail a check made out to “Avon Walk for Breast Cancer” directly to me. Your gift will be appreciated more than I can possibly tell you.

 This event is one way that I can try to give some of that support back to those who need it now.  This year I will walk in memory of my dear friends I've lost to the disease and in honor of my dear mother-in-law, Susan, who is a survivor.

Thank you for your generous support.  We're in this to end it!

Doris

I am currently reading The Vanishing of Katharina Linden: A Novel

No comments: