Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

What to read?

For me, choosing what to read can be difficult. I'm never sure if I will like a book before I read it, so often times I don't want to make the commitment to read. This summer my "to-read" list consists of my incoming 7th graders summer reading list, and the Reading Rumble list for next year.

In general, if choosing a book I chose this way.

  • Author - do I already love this author's stuff? If so then I pick it right up.
  • Recommendation - Does one of my friends love a book?
  • Genre - Is it a genre I love
  • Students - Do I know my students will read it?
Most other books are borrowed from the library, then if I don't like it I'm not out $$$.

My summer reading this year is ....



Summer Reading: Pre-AP lists and descriptions

The Last Book in the Universe by W. Rodman Philbrick
Science Fiction (ISBNs 0439087597 or 978-0439087599)
After an earthquake destroys much of the planet, an epileptic teenager nicknamed Spaz
begins a heroic fight to bring human intelligence back to the Earth of a distant future.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Fiction (ISBNs 0553211285 or 978-0553211283)
This classic novel centers on the adventures of a mischievous young boy and his friends
growing up in a Mississippi River town during the nineteenth century.

Dark Water Rising by Marian Hale
Historical Fiction (ISBNs 0805075852 or 978-0805075854)
After moving to Galveston in the summer of 1900, sixteen-year-old Seth struggles with
decisions that impact his future and learns about survival in the face of a natural disaster.

In the Shadow of the Alamo by Sherry Garland
Historical Fiction (ISBNs 0152017445 or 978-0152017446)
Conscripted into the Mexican army, fifteen-year-old Lorenzo Bonifacio makes some
unexpected alliances and learns some harsh truths about General Santa Anna as the troops
move toward the Battle of the Alamo.


Reading Rumble List:

All the Broken Pieces
Amulet #1
Bull Rider
Code Orange
The Demon King
Donut Days
Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Full Tilt
Girlfriend Material
Gossamer
Gracelings
The Hunt for the Seventh
Killer Pizza
Life as We Knew It
The Maze Runner
North of Beautiful
Pop
Prophecy of the Sisters
Rapunzel's Revenge
Red Blazer Girls: The Ring of Rocamadour
The Roar
The Season
Serious Kiss
Slob
Sweetheart of Prosper County
Three Cups of Tea
When you Reach Me
Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland

No comments: