Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Tom's Big Adventure


I read this book the first time when I was 10. I can remember reading it with my older brothers when our family took a trip down the Mississippi River. My oldest brother didn't like to read, but my brother Robert and I fought over the loan copy of the book.

The start of the book fascinates me. Twain is a master with words and a great mentor writer. His ability to make Tom's world sound real to me so long after that era ended is amazing. It did take me a bit to get used to the dialect, but once I did I'd read for hours.

The picture above is Mark Twain's home. When I'd read about Tom and his Aunt Polly, I'd always picture Mark Twain's beautiful old country home. The front porch looks so inviting; I bet it was a fun place to grow up.

I've started reading this classic again, and I'll blog about chapters 1- 3 on Monday.

In the meantime, check out The Official Web Site of Mark Twain.

No comments: