Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Salon - Bad Taste in Boys and other books this week, Writing Time, San Antonio

Bad Taste in Boys
Bad Taste in Boys
This has been a great reading week.  Putting aside several hours a day have allowed me the opportunity read several new and exciting books.

Bad Taste in Boys and other Books of the Week

The first book that I HAVE to recommend for its fun factor is Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris.  First, check out her blog, it rocks! Think of teen drama, meets steroids and add in a healthy dose of zombies and you've got the magic potion that makes this the funniest LOL book I've read in a long time.

After reading the book, I had to check our Carrie Harris' blog.  Totally fun!  If you have middle grade girls who are reluctant readers, pass this book onto them.  Show them her website as well.  (They'll love Carrie for her cool-factor)  The book is also the first in a series, which means you can keep kids reading long after these zombie attacks end.

I've truly enjoyed the reading this week.  Other reads this week include ...

The Emerald Atlas (Books of Beginning)
The Stinky Cheese Man 10th Anniversary (Viking Kestrel picture books)
 All the World



Writing Time

Without the pressure of the school year, I've been able to focus on my personal writing time.  Next week I'll continue spending time writing, while also working on long-term lessons for my teachers.  I'll be at University of Houston Clear Lake where I'll be speaking to graduate level writing teachers, and a few new ones. 

The one thing I don't think writing teachers focus enough time on is their own writing.  If I understand the process from a first hand point-of-view then I'm better able  to deal with the frustrations of children who hit the writing-wall.

San Antonio

This time next week I'll be in San Antonio.    We're going to hang out as a family, spend time with friends and generally just enjoy ourselves.  I'm sure I'll blog with pictures from there, so check back for pictures of our fun time in San Antonio.

I look forward to the time I'll spend with the family!  I hope you have plans for a great week!




Doris

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have heard great things(and seen photos) about San Antonio. Just the water nearby is enough to really draw me in.

I would love to be sitting on the edge of that river in your photo!

I haven't read the books you mentioned, but they do sound good for teens.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping in. The River Walk is a beautiful place. We're used to the heat, but if you ever want to visit there, go in the fall to avoid the oppressive heat.

Running to check out your blog now!

Doris