Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Firday Finds - The Fire & Ice Series and Harry Potter saga

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire)  This has been a good reading week for me!  I love weeks where I can devour great books, but still find time to spend with some of my own writing.  On my to-read list for quite some time has been George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series.  I'd read the first book, I was truly looking forward to the rest of the books. 

One of the things I love about Martin's writing style is his lack of holding to "traditional" characters.  His work is filled with strong women and men; characters are complex and well thought out; layers upon layers of depth are woven throughout the story and best of all the action packed visuals allow the reader to visualize the story easily.  Martin is a truly brilliant writer. 

So this Friday, my Friday find recommendation is the Fire and Ice series.  The box set of the first four books is easy to find at a library, but the paperbacks can all be found for under $20.  The last book for the series, A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (see image below)  can only be found in the E-version or hardback, but if you start from book one and move forward, the book could be found in a library.

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five

Finally, I did go see the final Harry Potter movie at midnight last night.  (Yes, I am crazy)  I totally enjoyed the movie.  There are somethings I wish would have been included from the books but overall the movie rocked! I will probably post on my Leaky Cauldron Blog about the experience on Sunday.

Loads of writing to accomplish this weekend!  I'm planning on getting up early and locking myself in my favorite coffee shop for several hours of intense research and writing.

Have a wonderful weekend -

Doris

No comments: