Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Delirium

"Love, it kills you when you have it, and when you don't "  (From Delirium)

Delirium is the newest book out by author Lauren Oliver.  After the success of her first novel, Before I Fall, I was truly looking forward to this book.

I was not disappointed.

Delirium follows the main character, Lena, as she discovers more about her world then she'd care to know.  This book reminds me much of Louis Lowery's The Giver, but with a main character who is more passionate and worldly.

One of the most interesting things about this book, is the world as Lena views it.  First, she can see why love is a negative thing and why it should be removed. Even with dreams and thought filled moments of her mother shortly before she committed suicide, and with her deep feelings for Gracie she still thinks that love is best removed from a person.

She feels this way until, she falls in love. 

This is a great book.  I read it on my Kindle and really enjoyed it.  In a world where we try to remove passion from our choices, it helps us make sense of why we need love.

If you like the books of Lauren Oliver, you can follow her tweets here.